Mane stebi/skaito

Sunday 21 February 2010

Resurrection

Ezekiel's vision. Engraving by Giorgio Ghisi, after a painting by Giovanni Batista Bertini (mid-1550's).

When I was still active on MySpace- and that was not long ago- people used to send animated greetings on various occasions- Valentine's day (sparkling hearts, hugging bears), Christmas (Santa Claus, of course, Christmas trees, of course, snowy illustrations etc.). Once during Easter I received a picture of zombie- Jesus. I became terrified and deleted it.

And this image, which I found in one of my readings for the session about the body, somehow brought me back to the image of zombie Jesus. After all, Christianity (and all religions/faiths) is all about transcendence.

And some seem to perceive transcendence in really creepy and terrifying ways. But I guess that's what transcendence is- you step into the Unknown, you freak out, you have nightmares. And consequently you create something like it.

I am really genuinely curious whether Bertini used to have nightmares while painting this scene.

No comments: