Mane stebi/skaito

Monday 22 February 2010

Troubleshooting in New York

On Saturday I received a package from New York.

New York???

New York!!!

Ok, let us skip the illogical cheerfulness of the post-soviet upbringing (re: mine) that contains remnants of the long long times ago when anything from The West was a miracle itself, but I just could not help it. Right.

So, the package containted a book “Troubleshooting” by Molly Young (my fav blogger) and Chris Luxton.





First impressions (method of associations, the beauty of the miracles of our mind, imho):

Cleanness

Cherry-blossom

Childhood

Silence

Strawberry ice-cream

Photos made by film camera

Summer laziness

I have not read it all, and am not intending to, at least for the meantime. This is a kind of a book that I keep on my night table immersing before sleep, covered under few wool blankets, allowing myself to digest only a few snippets of it.



It’s impressionism in its most successful and attractive form, I dare say. Short stories, accompanied by pictures/images, that are meant to traverse your orbit and leave with a feeling something has just happened, it was so quick and therefore magical.

It reminds me of M. July's “No one belongs here more than you” which has a bright yellow cover and which I, absentmindedly and due to baggage restrictions, did not bring here. Thinking I will not need it. Well, I was wrong.

I have an equal substitute now. I am not equating Molly and Miranda, I am equating a very subjective feeling every book evokes, and this time Molly’s and Miranda’s worlds resonate. For me.

I like to turn over the pages and stop at one story, then move back/forth for a random number of seconds and see if the title of Molly’s snippet and Chris’s pictures align with what I’ve already read. Surprisingly, in most cases they do.




The power of associations. Or a gift/curse of wild imagination.

Thank you, Molly. My apologies for such an unprofessional and scattered review/feature.


No comments: